Buadline is an interesting DSP tool for signal inspection and analysis. Unfortunately, the OSX image is a little old (looks like the current release; 1.08; is from 2010), but works just fine. Well, sort of. It turns out, the baudline application is not linked to X11 libs where I have them installed. I use macports, and I have XQuartz since Apple decided to stop officially support the X window server. Here is what happened when I installed baudline and attempted to run it:
$ /Applications/baudline.app/Contents/Resources/baudline dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libXp.6.dylib Referenced from: /Applications/baudline.app/Contents/Resources/baudline Reason: image not found Trace/BPT trap: 5 Sterlings-MacBook-Air:project2 sterling$ otool -L /Applications/baudline.app/Contents/Resources/baudline /Applications/baudline.app/Contents/Resources/baudline: /usr/X11/lib/libXp.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.0.0) /usr/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0) /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.0.0) /usr/X11/lib/libXext.6.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current version 11.0.0) /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 111.1.4) /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0) /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0) /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 32.0.0) /usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0) /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 476.18.0)
Not so great, but I found this blog post that shows how you can relink binaries in OSX: How To Relink OSX Binaries
I felt like there should be a nice, automatic script that could just fix this, but I ended up just relinking each dylib in turn, like this:
$ install_name_tool -change /usr/X11/lib/libXp.6.dylib /opt/X11/lib/libXp.6.dylib /Applications/baudline.app/Contents/Resources/baudline
That was the magic sauce that made it work.